The first deed for the land was recorded in 1738.
David Jewett from Rowley MA. was the first to
break open the forest and begin the arduous task
of building a home, clearing land and raising a family.
The Jewetts sold the farm in 1872 to Augustus Tuttle.
He built a new barn (1880) and remodeled the
house (1889). In 1920, the farm was sold to Halsey Allen,
Eric’s great grandfather. He brought the farm
into the modern age by planting a large orchard
and starting a commercial dairy cow herd.
For the ensuing years , the orchard and dairy were the mainstay of the farm. The orchard was discontinued in the late 1960’s.
In 1985, Eric came to the farm and worked to improve and expand the dairy operation.
An addition was put on the barn and 40 milkers provided milk to local dairies.
In 1998, Ann and Eric purchased a herd of dairy goats.
A new barn was built to set up in as the cows remained
until 2004. Now, cows no longer roam the fields at CBF,
Goats have made their mark here, and their cheese
speaks for why!